Friday, August 20, 2004

Manic Panic

There was a call I missed listed on my cell phone this morning from a number I did not recognize. Utilizing the wonders of the Internet I plugged the number into an on-line reverse directory to identify the source; imagine my surprise when the number came up as originating from Bighorn Airways out of the great state of Wyoming (Sheridan to be specific).

...the Hell?

Who was calling me from Wyoming?

An old acquaintance or friend, having just quit the rodeo clown circuit, looking for a place to hang his scarlet nose and kinky wig once back in the Twin Cities?

Had some long lost luggage of mine (p'raps an errant shaving kit?) been recovered at this location? Maybe a discarded monogrammed towel from my past has been correctly identified (via intensive DNA testing) and traced to me? Hell, maybe an abandoned pair of underpants during my nomadic years as a railhopper?

Was a agent for the government of Wyoming coming to get me for some outstanding warrant? What crime had been pinned on me? Had I desecrated Old Faithful, whether in-person or by proxy? Might I had been implicated in a plot to do Something to the geyser by a person using my name as an alias (fill it full of cheese? urinate into it? deface a sign into reading 'Old Spewy?)?
Why would agent call ahead to warn me? Would I not flee from prosecution even if wrongly accused? Wouldn't you?

So many things crossed my mine and my heart raced at the thought of doing time for a crime I did not (knowingly) commit. Should I flee to the mountains a la Grizzly Adams? Would I be fortunate enough to befriend a bear cub if I became a fugitive of this sort like Dan Haggerty's TV character? Sure, I'm not in any way, shape or form an outdoorsy person, but might a friendly Native American instruct me in the construction of a smallish two -room hogan in which I would ride out the rest of my days? Are there still people like Mad Jack around that might bring me fresh supplies and mentor me in the ways of corn mash fermenting?

Or could it simply have been a wrong number?

I hope to find out soon.

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home