Monday, January 26, 2004

Winter Carnival Parade Pre-Planning

Saint Paul's Winter Carnival festivities kicked off on Saturday with the traditional day-time parade. A large group of friends and I attended and all seemed to have a damn fine time. My 'fun quotient' has heightened when I espied a fellow attendee plop down on a nearby bench and pull out what can only be considered his Parade-Food-Fare; in this case it was not the typical selection of popcorn, hot dogs, fat pretzels, cotton candy and the like, but a family-sized tin of sardines (that he must have brought from home as I saw no tinned fish vendors along the parade route...and, afterwards, I looked for them).

This was a first for me...watching a gentleman pop sardines into his maw whilst watching the parade go by and it made me wonder about his prepartions to attend the day's festivities:

Guy: Hmm. Parade's coming up this afternoon. Gotta make sure I got's some snacks along; they screw ya at them booths-- pricewise-- and I ain't nobody's fool. What'll it be? (lip smacking noises) What'd hit the spot out in the cold watching the parade? Well...it's gotta be sardines. Nothing says PARADE GRUB like some salted fish! (retrieves tin from shelf and puts in his tote bag) Now if I could only find me festive toque I'd be set...*

Something like that, I'd imagine.

T

*For the sake of the above fictionalized monologue, let's say it's an Internal one...although there is a strong possibility that he said it aloud to an audience of himself...and maybe a cat. The cat's name would be something like Mister Squirm or Cater Kitty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home