Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Talking 'bout Talk Talk

Music Confession time, kids.

To preface:

I've never enjoyed anything by Gwen Stefani and her mates (heh...or mates and former Mates, eh?) that comprise the popular quartet No Doubt. I even cringe when her relationship (now marriage) to Gavin Rossdale gets a mention in the music press (Does anyone miss his old band, Bush? Does anyone ever bust out an old copy of one of their -kaff- timeless recordings and listen to 'em? I'm sure they do at the Rossdale-Stefani abode but NOT anywhere else on the planet*).

With this in mind I was startled to learn that the cover of Talk Talk's 1984 song, It's My Life, that I had been hearing quite a bit over the last month or two was, in fact, being performed by Mrs. Rossdale and No Doubt.

Never say Never, eh?

This is a really good and faithful (to the original single) version of Talk Talk's tune (are they still around?). So much so that it inspired me to break out the old vinyl (that's right, kids; VINYL!!!) and give it a listen (or two...and YES I still have a fully operational turntable) the other day. IT'S MY LIFE (the name of the song AND the album) really took me back (dern 80s nostalgia) and reminded me of things I had long since stashed away in my Cerebral File Cabinet; like:

The fact that, at one time, a dear friend of mine wanted to have his hair styled in the same fashion as Mike Hollis, TT's main man, and often moistened his locks with tap water to achieve that wet look. In hind sight, some Soul Glow (remember COMING TO AMERICA?) would have been an able assist in this coiffure aspiration.

AND

Heh...it made for some good Makin' Out music (as well as another one of their releases, THE COLOUR OF SPRING).**

So, begrugdingly, I need to tip my hat (a Tip from Tip) to Gwen and her crew for reminding me of a band I really enjoyed back in the day AND for some titillating memories involving a select group of ladyfriends and a certain husky and hormonally-challenged tuddler.

Molto appreciato.

T


*Okay...maybe, just maybe some Bush tunes our getting played on the International Space Station...but only because some Astro/Cosmo-naut intentionally ditched it there and it's NOW the only musical recording available to listen to...well, that and a copy of the cast recording of Jesus Christ Superstar (stupid friggin' Andrew Lloyd Webber)...but, it isn't actually being listened to ON this planet; so I stand by my original statement.

**Another one that comes to mind is Digital Underground's SEX PACKETS. But, p'raps, that is for another Blog entry...or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home