Thursday, October 07, 2004

Harpoon as Conversation Starter

Looks pretty impressive over your mantel (er...not so much a mantel as it is a makeshift-two-by-four-as-shelf over a Polaroid of a fireplace, right? And that's not so much a pic of a fireplace as it is a picture of an aged monk setting himself aflame...which is an odd thing to have on the wall below a harpoon--the placement of which implies that, at some point, you skewered the holy man with it, maybe even post-burn...which brings to mind fleshy S'mores for some reason...but that ain't no warmed over marshmellow/chocolate ooze seeping through his 'graham cracker' hide--but I digress). Where'd you get it? Is it a family heirloom? Was an ancestor of your's a whaler from way back? No, no, no...I wasn't implying that your great-great-grandfather had a weight issue (did he? Oh, he liked S'mores, eh?) but that he hunted whales aboard some vessel in a century past. Yes...that's right...WHALERS hunted whales and was --at one time-- the name of a professional hockey team. Uhm, the WAILERS were Marley's back-up band, yes, but, y'see, it's spelled differently...it's what you'd call (well...maybe not you) a homonym. ?!? Stop sniggering...I said HOMONYM. No, a homonym is not an overly 'sexed up' homosexual...you're thinking homo-NYMPH...and I don't think that's even a real term, okay? I'm also pretty sure that no Rastafarians played for the Hartford Whalers nor are reknowned for their Whale Hunting skills...er...I s'pose they might enjoy the occasional S'more but I wouldn't have the slightest idea if they would involve the treats in their same-gender sexcapades. Ahem. So, back to my original question; Where' you get the harpoon? A Thrift Store? Pfft...talk about false advertising. Yes, it IS rather phallic and NO it doesn't give me any 'funny ideas' involving you, me, a vigorous 'hug' and post-coital snacks.

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home