Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Why Subway needs a Drive-Through Window
The Sandwich Confessional: A True Tale

The Resident Chef was away for the evening leaving the Resident Un-Chef Boy-R-Dee with only a smattering of choices for dinner-like sustenance:

-Open-Faced Peanut Butter Sandwiches (probably three)
-Nothing (and liking it)
-Take-Out from a local Fast Food joint

A short but vigorous chin and tummy rubbing session was concluded with opting for the Latter Selection; why dirty up a knife with the first choice or suffer the gut groaning noises of an unfed belly if electing for the second, I thought.

Plus, Subway has those wickedly Good Buffalo Chicken sandwiches available (definitely NOT on Jared's Slough-Weight-Off list of Recommended Subway Noshes) and was Just the nourishment I had a Hankering for.

As it turns out I got a lot more than just a sub and probably, in hindsight, should have stayed home with my Jif and Bread concoctions and one lone unclean knife.

In the course of my five (felt like thirty) minute visit to the nearest Subway Restaurant for the aforementioned desired dinner I learned the following about my ever-so-chatty Sandwich Engineer (unsolicited) as she prepared my meal (in no particular order):

-She's a recovering alcoholic
-She has a four year old son
-Her boyfriend/live-in lover is on disability for a bum ticker and diabetes
-She plans to live well past 100 years of age in order to set the Guinness Book Record; although she was uncertain what the current Record is (she suspected it's 120)
-She has three video game systems at home
-She works over forty hours a week
-She likes her quiet time

The totality of My part of this dialogue (really more of a monologue) was the following:

'I would like a 12 inch Buffalo Chicken Subway on Parmesan/Oregano with Cheddar and nothing else, please.'

Three or four AHs

and one GOOD BYE

At least the Subway hit the spot once I got home.

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home