Friday, December 05, 2003

Veterinary Technician Qualifications

As I have stated here before, I work at a local college. One of the programs that our institution offers is Veterinary Technician (or Vet Tech for those that favor a shorter handle for this course of study).

Today I was fortunate enough to overhear a prospective student discussing the particular reasons she felt that this was the career for her.

One example stood out to me and I wish to share it with you at this time (and I quote):

'I can distinguish between a ferret and a squirrel, y'know?'

Ahem.

A good start for sure, eh?

But certainly not enough.

Now, if a vet tech is able to specialize on particular animals than this would be a quality I would look for when hiring a new employee at my Squirrel and Ferret Hospital.

Sadly, this is often not the case.

What if a fellow shows up with an ailing mule and you mistaken it for a burro and administer burro medical techniques upon it?

One dead mule, my friends...

One. Dead. Mule.*

Or a feverish pet spider monkey IDed in error for a potbelly pig with hot flashes?

A stone cold simian would result.

Our students need more in this department; it's not all about squirrels and ferrets, after all.

I have faith in the instructors in this program at our school that this prospective student (and all the others) can broaden her (their) animal identification abilities through intensive study AND the purchase of the adult-version of Fisher Price's See N Say.

If not we're going to need a good lawyer and a big shovel.

T

*And a former Mule Owner/Companion distraught over the loss-by-misidentification of their beast of burden. That is something I would find hard to (ahem) Live With.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home