Thursday, November 06, 2003

Keeping up with the Kids Today

"Democracy is mint!"
A Central High School student's assessment of our form of government, overheard on a Minnesota Public Radio broadcast.


Now-- don't get me wrong-- I do agree with this statement; however, I could have sworn I read somewhere that the slangage used above had been retired from the popular lexicon along with:

hip
groovy
far out
cat's meow
23 skiddoo
groaty to the max
with it
muley
tits
nads
the shit
monkey shining
most-ut*
dee-lish
dope
corksnorklin'
bad
booya-licious
Mud Flap-ah-Doo-Wop
Buns Up
(and so on)

in exchange for 'Izzle-this' and 'Izzle-that' in denoting things that are 'good' or 'cool.'

Feh.

Show's how much I know 'bout lingo these days. It changes and morphs far-too-quickly for me to keep up.

Hell, I still tell folk that I'll catch them on the 'flip-side' and/or that their 'Ootzee-Botzee is Poppin.'

T
(old)

*Granted, this phrase has its origins from a JETSONS episode which (as we are all aware) is set in the future; so it really hasn't fallen out of favor...yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home