Monday, August 07, 2006

Zappa Reference Uncovered?

Plook: A term I first encountered whilst listening to the song "Dong Work for Yuda" from Frank Zappa's JOE'S GARAGE


JOE:
This is exciting
I never plooked
A tiny chrome-plated machine
That looks like a magical pig
With marital aids stuck all over it
Such as yourself before

SY BORG:
You'll love it!
Its a way of life.

JOE:
Does that mean maybe later
You'll plook me....



This weekend I attended the Wizard World Chicago Comic Convention. One of the things I had planned for the Con was to look for cheap copies of comics that I once owned but have been lost/stolen/given to the Goodwill/Salvation-Army-without-my-permission-by-parents-who-shall-remain-nameless (okay...it was really the latter but I was trying to 'soften' the blow). One of my all-time favorite series from when I was a lad was The Avengers...so much so that I would often call the local comic shop (the long gone but not forgotten Saint Paul Comics) weekly to see if a new issue had come out (my young self had not yet grasped the concept of a MONTHLY title).

As luck would have it I uncovered a stash of 18 issues for 75 cents a pop ranging between issues 151 and 202 (which happen to cover my favorite period of Avengers issues...mildly biased as the first issue I ever picked up new was issue 158). Later in the day I randomly grabbed an issue (#201) and flipped it open. To my absolute delight--in an almost Synchronicity Kinda Moment--I came upon the following panel:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Is it possible that the Sound Effect utilized to denote the noise a Cantaloupe being Smashed into the Face of Jarvis (the resident butler at Avengers Mansion) was a Nod to Zappa via the writer of the Issue (namely David Michelinie) or purely a coincidence? JOE'S GARAGE was released in 1979 and Issue 201 of The Avengers has a cover date of November 1980.

I'd like to think that, in fact, it is.

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home