Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Back in my Day...
a conversation from this morning's pre-work Coffee Run

Before my long trek to work this morn, I stopped off at a gas station/superette to get coffee. I arrived armed with a covered mug AND a thermos (I love me the coffee). Whilst filling the latter vessel, the following dialogue ensued:

Older Woman: I didn't think Young People (emphasis on Young People...almost sneeringly) today even knew what thermoses were let alone USED them.

Me: (man...it's too fucking early for this) You'd be surprised by us YOUNG PEOPLE and what we know. For example, I'm talked about in certain circles for my Ladle-Usage...kind of a Skill I've acquired...almost Uncanny the way I scoop mashed taters.

Older Woman: Hunh?

Me: (heh) Even formed a Ladle Club. Our Ceremonial Ladle is a baseball bat with an empty Quaker Oats cannister lashed to it with twine. It's construction was inspired by MacGyver and a particular camping incident where I found myself ladleless before a meal of beans cooked over an open fire.

Older Woman: Hunh?

Me: (hoo hoo) Oh, right, the thermos. I guess you could say that their existence was drilled into my head as my family are direct descendents of Sir James Dewar...the fellow that invented 'em. Heck, my friends nicknamed me VACUUM FLASK in grade school because of my bloodline AND my thermos collection (most of 'em inherited).

Older Woman: Hunh?

Me: Need an ear horn?

Older Woman: (turns on her heel and head's for the snack aisle without another word)


T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home