Saturday, June 21, 2003

Harry Potter

So I've read about the hype surrounding the release of the latest in the Harry Potter books and it has left me scratching my head whilst still being encouraged that there are a LOT of kids out there ecstatic to Read said tome.

But why is it that I've been put off to Reading them; flying in the face of the numerous Friends that have insisted that I 'have to read them.' That I 'will love them.'???

It took some pondering but I think I have gotten to the root of my Potter-phobia.

It has to do with the long-since-off-the-air-yet-eternally-in-syndication television program M.A.S.H.

Harry Morgan joined the cast after HELLO LARRY left the series.

Harry Morgan portrayed a character by the name of 'Sherman Potter.'

I combined the two names...Harry Morgan/Sherman Potter= Harry Potter.

To this day I cannot think of Rowling's character 'Harry Potter' and *not* think of an aged man, formerly the sidekick to Joe Friday on TV's Dragnet, astride a broomstick and dispensing frequent declarations of "HORSE PUCKY!!!"

For whatever reason this is *very* off-putting.

I blame the fact that I was dropped often as a child (and was not well-versed in the Arcane Arts).

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home