Monday, September 08, 2003

Hiccups: The Great Leveller

Friday night I got hit by a bout of Hiccups that lasted over an hour.
An hour of my life trying All the Old Tricks to get rid of them--holding my breath, sucking a lime, drinking water in unusual positions, slandering clown paraphenalia collectors, et cetera. Eventually they disappeared (I have no idea which 'trick' worked...although it could have been the final 15 minutes of spewing envectives at any and all Deities under the Sun) but left a lasting impression; that of extremely painful and debilitating heartburn...so much so that I had to excuse myself from my evening's companions and head home for a fistfull of Tums.

It dawned on me as the Fiery Heat in my Chest dissipated that these Unexpected Spasming Episodes render anyone--young, old, rich, poor, whatever-- a helpless quivering 'sack of water and urges'* completely out of control of your own form and actions...complete with a soundtrack (of sorts) comprised of noises one would expect to hear when accidentally trodding on zip-locks full of pudding.

Thanks alot, (insert Deity name here), for this lil' tweak in our design structure.

At least it keeps us all on equal (and jerky) footing.

Laugh while you can.

T


*To borrow a quote from Dave Sim describing human beings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home