Monday, May 15, 2006

Jim Logic leads to Unsolicited New Nickname

My father, Jim the Sicilian, has never said my name aloud in my presence for the entirety of my cognizant life (one could argue that he did when I was VERY little...but considering the lack of my name's usage in his vernacular over, say, the last 30 Plus years, I find it Highly Unlikely).

Instead he has relied on a series of nicknames.


Until the age of 16 or so he called me Boy.


This one makes a certain amount of sense and never really left me wondering about it's origins.

"He am younger than me...he am Boy."


From the ages of 16 to 34 (or so) I was called College.

Okay, sure, by the age of 16 I had already surpassed my father in my educational career (he was out of school by the ninth grade) so, perhaps feeling a wee bit intimidated/mildly jealous/whatever by this fact he christens me with College. This moniker I could live with...although it did seem to go on for a Bit too long (since I graduated from College by my 23 birthday) but What the Hell?


By my 34th or 35th year it was revealed to me that Jim had taken to calling my Hollywood.

This one left me a bit perplexed. Could it be the Transition Lenses in my glasses? That's my best guess even though Jim HIMSELF has Transition Lenses (I got them as a nod to his...and the fact that he looks like a Bald Richard Belzer...which, fortunately, I do not).

*shrug*

Which now brings us now to the latest addition to my Jim Alias List.

In the middle of my 36th year he is now calling me Doc (this happened for the first time on Sunday...Mother's Day).

It was revealed to me in the following exchange:

Jim: Doc, you're a Doctor, right?

Me (non-Phd): What?!?

Jim: You went to college for a long time.

Me: Five years...an extra year because I switched majors half way through.

Jim: Right. So youse a Doctor, Doc. That's enough time to get that Peas Aitch Dees.

Me: ...

Jim: You knows what I'm talkin' 'bout, Doc.

Me: Dad, you can go ahead and tell people anything you like about me.

Jim: You're okay in my book, Doc.



And there you have it.

T
(Oh...that and I'm pretty sure he groped the Waitress)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home