Friday, November 18, 2005

The Great Prevaricator: Tall Tales for Feeble-minded

I've been known to spin a good fake yarn from time-to-time; a classic moment as an example:

Convincing a number of peers at my 10 Year High School Reunion that I was running a junkyard with my son (a la SANFORD AND SON). Only one fellow called me out on this (recognizing the scenario was ripped from a television program AND that my son, if I had one at that time, would have been, at best, a stripling of 10 years of age). For his astute reasoning he was granted the truth of the matter (no junkyard, no son) and a lingering hug (the latter of which might ALSO be a lie...you decide).

Two days ago, at a conference I'd been attending (a three day marathon of BORING coupled with inane chit-chattery banter), I sprung another one on the unsuspecting attendees within earshot and it bore fruit (doing such to amuse myself and break up the utter dullness of the affair). It went something like this:

"Yeah, I played power-forward* for my high school's Varsity Basketball team. I was nicknamed 'WHITE FUDGE.'**

The following day I was greeted with calls of 'Hey there, White Fudge!' and 'Good to see you again. White Fudge.'

And it was good.

T

*I'm 5'8 and was back then as well...there was no way I was going to play that position even in a pick-up game at an area housing project court and the other players were on crutches or missing limbs...and I should mention my lack of coordination...hence the nickname TIP. Thus, this Tall Tale of mine should have fallen flat...but it did not.

**Think the long ago television drama, THE WHITE SHADOW (starring Ken Howard) which, among other things, popularized the nickname SALAMI for a generation (thanks to the kid on the White Shadow's high school squad stuck with that particular moniker...whatever became of him?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home